Thursday, March 8, 2007

Performant

This is a word that you hear quite often in the software world. This one actually has a real definition in the dictionary. So why am I complaining about this word, you ask?

When people around me use the word performant they use it as an adjective that in their warped minds means high performing:

Genius A: The code has passed all test cases.
Genius B: Super. But is it performant?
Genius A: Hmmm. Good point. Going forward, my key Action Item is to tabulate some metrics to establish whether the integrated system is sufficiently performant.
Genius B: Huzzah!
Genius A: Indeed.

Hey Geniuses (A and B), I invite you to read the definition that I linked to in the first paragraph. Performant is a noun, basically a synonym of performer. performant:performer :: informant:informer.

Right now the descriptivists are shaking their heads at me in pity. Language evolves they say. Well I say that they are just crypto-apologists for the lazy and stupid. It's true that languages change over time but that doesn't mean we should all stand by idly while the foundations are hacked at by a sleepy mob armed with dull axes.

Is informant being used as a synonym of informative yet? Has performant been made into an adverb yet? That is, are people out there saying: This code runs very performantly. Honestly, I'm afraid to google it to find out.

External Resources: Jeff Boulter's Blog: Performant is not a word.

0 partners have spoken to this: